Thursday, September 9, 2010

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

I think at this point it is obvious that I love coffee cake. I can remember my first encounter with it back in grade 7, when my friend Jeff bought a piece that his mother made. I recall my reaction being something along the lines of "YUCK! COFFEE." But, as we all know, coffee cake does NOT taste like coffee... something to which I found myself pleasantly surprised!

Coffee Cake: A cake which pairs with coffee (when you have a coffee-party, not to be confused with a tea party).

Ever since that time, and yes, Jeff told me the secret of the taste of Coffee Cake, I've been wracked by Coffee Cake Cravings! So, this is yet another recipe for coffee cake. I think I have about 4 of them which I cycle through. Hubbie asked for a super moist cake, so I pulled out the Sour Cream (and hid it from him because he hates it), and baked this baby!

(Throughout the photo shoot, I drank the coffee (add a tbsp hot chocolate powder to it...YUM).

It certainly looks like I was eating the slice of cake in font of the whole cake. What does that mean?

Light cinnamon/sugar swirls! SEE THEM! SEE THEM! I don't like a lot of sugar, so I try not to fill the cake through.
Would you like the recipe?


Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Ingredients:
1 c sour cream
3/4 c butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 1/2 flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1/2 c walnuts (optional)

SWIRLS:
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 c white sugar

Direction:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bunt pan

1. Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs, sour cream and vanilla.
2. Slowly incorporate baking soda, baking powder, and flour (and nuts too I guess).
3. mix the swirl (sugar and cinnamon). Pour half the batter into bunt pan. Sprinkle the swirl in the middle all the way around the pan. Add the remaining batter to cover the swirl.
4. Bake at 400 for 8 min, then lower to 350 degrees for 30-40 min or until cooked through.

WARNING: GET A FRIEND TO HELP YOU FINISH THIS OFF!


Now, I've got to go do some baking for school... Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Butter Hearts Sugar said...

This sounds delicious. My mum used to make a cake very similar to this, it had a layer of brown sugar and pecans in the middle. I'm looking forward to trying it out.